Wednesday, July 20, 2016

WWC77 - Marsha's Colour Challenge


http://watercoolerchallenges.blogspot.ca/
This week we have a wonderful selection of colours, courtesy of Marsha. I loved working with these colours, and after seeing what the other Watercooler Artists have done, it's clear that this colour combo fits any style. Here's what we had to work with:
I immediately thought watercolour! It's my favourite technique. And Very Vanilla cardstock is great for watercolouring. It adds a soft undertone to the colours.

Since I had just received the Rose Wonder stamp set, it is the perfect choice for colouring.
This image is all one big stamp and I simply inked it up with Archival Black ink and stamped it onto the Very Vanilla cardstock.

Using an Aquapainter, I first coloured the entire rose with a layer of Pink Pirouette, not worrying about creating shadows, or even covering the whole image. Then I did the same thing with the leaves and Mint Macaron.

One thing I've learned about watercolouring, is that it is important to let the ink dry thoroughly before adding another layer. You can either let it air dry, or hurry things up with a heat tool. I like to stamp several images so I can colour the others while waiting for each layer to dry.

Once it was dry, I went over the leaves again with Mint Macaron, but just applied ink randomly to give it some variation in tone.

For the rose, my next layer was done with Sweet Sugarplum, taking care to not cover the Pink Pirouette layer completely. After that layer was dry, I went over it again just in a few spots where there might be shadows.

Once that layer was dry, I went back to the Pink Pirouette and did a quick wash over everything to smooth out any lines that might show between the layers. You do want to be careful not to use too much water or the cardstock will begin to fray.

The banner at the top, as well as the sentiment and little hearts are from the Thoughtful Banners stamp set, stamped with Night of Navy and Pink Pirouette for the hearts. I do have the coordinating punch, but cannot find it after my move, so I fussy cut it. I wanted it to have a bit more substance, so I glued it onto some Night of Navy cardstock and then cut it out again, leaving a bit of a border of Night of Navy. To make the hearts glossy, I covered them with glue from the Fine Tip Glue Pen.

Next, I thought the centre of the rose needed some bling. My thought was to put a tiny Rhinestone Basic Jewel there, to look like a dew drop. However, the only rhinestones I could find were the retired jumbo sized ones. So, I went with it! Go big or go home, right? Here's a closeup:
A mat of Sweet Sugarplum sets of the main image panel nicely and I like how it looks with the Night of Navy cardbase.

To see what the other Watercooler Artists have done, visit Watercooler Wednesday, then show us how you would combine these lovely colours.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Gail you've designed such a beautiful card with the Rose Wonder set. I really like how it shows off the colour combo so well. Great post too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny - it's my first time using that stamp set. I can see many more colour combos for it!

      Delete

WWC211 - Kath's Feminine Anything Goes Challenge

https://watercoolerchallenges.blogspot.com/ It's a feminine theme this week from Kath. A perfect opportunity to play with my new butte...