Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Watercooler Wednesday Challenge #152 - Kath's All About Occasions Challenge

http://watercoolerchallenges.blogspot.ca/
There are many card-giving occasions throughout the year, and it's a good idea to have a stash of cards on hand to cover any occasion. That's exactly what this week's challenge from Kath is all about - occasions - any occasion.
I thought I would create sort of a generic occasions card that could cover several celebrations such as birthday, anniversary, or retirement. I also thought I would use colours I don't normally reach for. That's my mission for this year, since I have almost every current colour (and some retired) of cardstock that Stampin' Up makes.
My colours are Night of Navy and Calypso Coral (this is the one I don't use a lot) and of course, Whisper White. The DSP is from Delightful Daisy and the gingham ribbon (retired) is from the Holiday catalogue. I should make it another mission this year to use up ribbon.

The "best" is part of a Sale-a-Bration set, Happy Wishes. This is an awesome set with multiple phrases and words that can be used with the word best - such as 'day', as I've used here. If you look closely at the Calypso Coral layer, you will see that I've used the other phrases and words and stamped them repeatedly, tone-on-tone.

To pop things up a bit, so to speak, I've used what's being called the eclipse technique. First, I did the  stamping on the Whisper White cardstock, then I used the cat punch - which is being carried over from the Holiday Catalogue - yay! to  punch out the cat, making sure to punch out over the stamping.

I then punched 3 more cats from Night of Navy cardstock, glued them together then glued the white cat to that stack and fit all of them back into the punched-out area.

I'm really liking this colour combo and think I will try Calypso Coral with some other colours, now. It just may become one of my go-tos!

So, hop on over to Watercooler Wednesday and see what occasions the other Watercooler Artists are highlighting.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Gail. Great card! I love that you're using up stock on hand that you don't use often. It's like rediscovering old friends. Your colour combo is striking and goes well with this card. I also like that you designed this card with multi occasions in mind. Good planning and thought! Thanks so much for sharing this week. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail, love the way you've used the cat for the eclipse technique. And the lines of the "Best" really echo the lines of the cat so well. I'm guilty of the same thing, using those colours of cardstock which I love and pretty well ignoring those that are not "my colours". Silly, really, because "those" colours can be so effective. I rarely use Calypso Coral and yet it's fantastic in your card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. This colour combo looks awesome and I love that technique for 'popping' the cat up.
    I too have a box full of ribbon that is sadly neglected. I might just have to dig it out.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

WWC211 - Kath's Feminine Anything Goes Challenge

https://watercoolerchallenges.blogspot.com/ It's a feminine theme this week from Kath. A perfect opportunity to play with my new butte...