Friday, March 10, 2017

Think outside the box!

Last weekend my upline, who is in Alberta where I used to live, put together a weekend long on-line stamp-a-thon for all of her downline. She did some Facebook Live videos and had challenges throughout the weekend.

It was a lot of fun!

One of the challenges was to think outside the box. That is, to use a Stampin' Up product in a different way to what it was intended. I had an inspiration to use a stamp set I had just used to create my design team project for this week's Watercooler Wednesday Challenge:
To create the background, I used the 3-part image from the Tie Dyed stamp set from the 2017 Occasions Catalogue. This set is designed to stamp all three parts, in different colours, or different shades of the same colour, one on top of the other. For my challenge card, because it is a colour challenge, I inked the largest stamp in full strength Island Indigo, the middle stamp in Island Indigo - stamped off once, and the smallest stamp in Pool Party - full strength.

As I was working on this, I kept thinking that the design reminded me of ammonites, which are the fossilized, hard shells of extinct mollusks. See what they look like here.

Now, back to the challenge. I was thinking about trying to use the stamp to create an ammonite. But, it wasn't coming together in my brain. But, then I had a lightbulb moment!

You know those big, big lollypops that are different colours, in a spiral? Here's what I came up with:
 
I stamped the image on Whisper White cardstock using Tangerine Tango, Peekaboo Peach and So Saffron. Then I embossed it using clear embossing powder. I did three coats of embossing to make it really glossy. After that, I cut it out using one of the circles in the Layering Circles Framelits.

The stick is a bamboo skewer, cut to length, and tied with a bit off Emerald Envy ribbon. The littles squiggles, stamped in the same colours as the lollypop, is a stamp from the Bithday Blast set and the sentiment is from So In Love.

What kinds of things can you come up with when thinking outside the box? It's fun to do!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

WWC211 - Kath's Feminine Anything Goes Challenge

https://watercoolerchallenges.blogspot.com/ It's a feminine theme this week from Kath. A perfect opportunity to play with my new butte...