Wednesday, September 21, 2016

WWC86 - Gail's Simply Stamping Challenge

http://watercoolerchallenges.blogspot.ca/
It's my turn again to host a challenge and I have chosen my most favourite challenge of all - Simply Stamping. What does this mean, exactly? Well, it means just that - using inks and stamps. No die-cuts, no dry embossing (heat embossing is fine), no embellishments, no tags, banners, etc.

This takes me back to the days when I first started stamping and didn't have all the bells and whistles. I started by purchasing stamp sets I really liked, ink pad and cardstock in my favourite colours. But, I sure have learned a lot along the way!

For the theme for this challenge, I went with  the current season - Fall - or Autumn - whatever you want to call it. This could encompass a whole lot of different design options such as Thanksgiving, Halloween, harvest time or just the gorgeous fall colours nature gives us.

The photo used above is one I took shortly after moving to the west coast of Canada. I was renting a ground level suite on an acreage, and this was right in the yard. So amazing!

For my sample for this challenge I was inspired to use the Vintage Leaves stamp set - what could be more perfect? - and a watercolour wash background.
Using the Watercolour Wash background stamp, I inked it with Peekaboo Peach and Crushed Curry inks. I spritzed a piece of Stampin' Up! Watercolour Paper well with water, and also spritzed the ink on the stamp. It's always a surprise to see which way the colours run!

You want to make sure your background piece is totally dry before you start stamping on it, otherwise your stamped images will not be clear.

For the lighter-coloured leaves in the background, I inked one of the leaf images with Crushed Curry and Pumpin Pie and stamped randomly several times. On the bigger leaf I used Pumpkin Pie and Cajun Craze inks. The 3 little green leaves are done with Mint Macaron and Always Artichoke. For the sentiment, I used the 'Hello' from Tin of Cards and the 'Friend' is from Thoughtful Banners.

To finish off the edges, I sponged Cajun Craze all around. Then, I thought it needed a little something else, and since I can't seem to stop using it, out came that great doodle-y looking stamp from the Tin of Cards stamp set. That little bit of Archival Black in opposite corners was just what it needed. Cajun Craze for the card base is perfect frame for the colours in the stamped images.

And that's all it is - stamps, ink, cardstock! So, dig out your favourite stamp sets and colours and - just stamp. To see what the other Watercooler Artists have done and to link up your project, visit the Watercooler Wednesday blog.

2 comments:

  1. Gail, such a beautiful fall card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail thanks for hosting such a wonderful challenge. Although I'm not a fan like you of the Simply Stamping Challenges, it was great to participate. I absolutely love the picture you took in the woods and your card. Both are beautiful! Thanks for sharing your talents.

    ReplyDelete

WWC211 - Kath's Feminine Anything Goes Challenge

https://watercoolerchallenges.blogspot.com/ It's a feminine theme this week from Kath. A perfect opportunity to play with my new butte...