Wednesday, May 30, 2018

WWC172 - Anything Goes Challenge

http://watercoolerchallenges.blogspot.com/

After a bit of a break, I'm ready to get back into the swing of things with our weekly challenge. This week's theme is Anything Goes.
I've been playing around with dots. Dot painting, that is. YouTube has thousands of videos of really talented people demonstrating the technique. It's easy to get lost watching all those dots appear, but I finally had to give it a try myself.

Dot painting typically used acrylic paint and can be done on many surfaces and mostly I've seen people paint on rocks and canvases. I wanted to use Stampin' Up products. So I mixed various ink refill colours, mixed into white acrylic paint so that it had the thickness. For my "canvas", I used cardstock.

Take a look:
I cut a circle of the black cardstock with my second largest circle framelit. Starting in the middle, I just started dotting, varying the sizes and colours of the dots. Then I cut a bigger circle from Tempting Turquoise cardstock - a retiring colour.

The circles then went onto a square of black and the whole thing then onto more Tempting Turquoise. I put a large gold faceted gem in the middle, and used rhinestones around the edge.

After all the layers were put on the card base, I thought it still needed something, so I inked a new background stamp, called Handwritten, with Tempting Turquoise, stamped off once, and stamped it randomly in each corner.

This is a lot of fun to do and I have more ideas to keep dotting.

To see what the rest of the team has for you, visit Watercooler Wednesday, then show us your "Anything Goes" project.

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful project Gail. I always learn something artsy from you, and can't wait to see your weekly creations. This one doesn't disappoint. Beautifully coloured and designed. It reminds me of some Native Art Work I saw recently. Love the colour mix, it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny. I did see some native-inspired dot painting as I was searching YouTube. It's amazing what can be done with a simple dot!

      Delete
  2. Hi Gail. Welcome back! I love Mandala painting and this lovely creation of yours is no exception. Great choice of colours. Adding the "diamond" around the central Mandala really sets it off on the card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi. I've been working on some more - exploring free form, wavy designs. So many possibilities!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic card, you make it sound so easy but its not. The balance of colour and size and design its just perfect, you have such a wonderful eye for this. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Aileen! I did a lot of practice dotting to get a feel for it before attempting a design. Have been working on more designs and having lots of fun.

      Delete
  4. Unbelievable, wow Gail, lots of dots and beautifully executed on your lovely card

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn. I was kind of seeing spots by the time I finished this!

      Delete

WWC211 - Kath's Feminine Anything Goes Challenge

https://watercoolerchallenges.blogspot.com/ It's a feminine theme this week from Kath. A perfect opportunity to play with my new butte...